One of the yearly tasks that occurs as a result of our bespoke learning platform solution is the addition of new users to all of our services. Many of them are a quick job - upload a .csv file to the service and the new users are added.
Other services thought aren't so quick. And Typepad is the main culprit. Fortunately with only needing to add one new year group it hasn't been too long a job this year. In fact, it is now done! I've set up every new year 3 with their own learning space (a Typepad blog) that uses a default template previously built. The only slow part is the need to add our custom categories to each learning space, and remove the un-needed default categories. It would be nice if Typepad introduced a feature that allows you to specify the categories to be included with a particular template as default, but until they do this will be the slow part of our setup.
However, it is now done. Everything is now set up; the year 3's now have an email address on our Google Apps domain, they have access to Google Docs, they have access to PurpleMash, they have a learning space, and they have access to our school Kerpoof! account.
I was thinking this would be a job like last year (see the archives) that would take days and days, but no! I'm done. And not only that, but I've also completed the removal of our Year6 pupils from these services too. Now I just need to plan out the school wide ICT lessons for the autumn term, and then I can relax for the summer.