Sounds a little like a song title, but it's not. It's a statement. And what's more - it's true! I was contemplating beginning to plan the rest of the summer terms literacy work this morning (long story, but the teacher who was all set to do the planning is off long term ill, so I've stepped in).
Anyway, during the spring term - when it was my turn to plan the work - I was using a scheme book to help with the topics. At the end of the spring term I put that planning book into another classroom ready for the next teacher to then take it and plan. Unfortunately whilst that teacher was out on a secondment, the cover teacher seems to have mislaid it. No planning book - no planning!
So, this morning before school I raided the school network. I hunted down the staff area of the server looking for the "planning" folder. Within that I drilled down to the "archive" folder, and then the "lower school" folder, and within that the "summer term 2008" folder (this was the last time during our 2 year cycle that the same literacy topics would have been studied in lower school) and there - to my relief - were the plans for the units.
I've printed them off, I've got a copy on my desktop, and aside from a few tweaks here and there, that's the planning sorted for the rest of the term.
What seemed like it was going to be at least several evenings of extra, unexpected planning has instead turned into an hour of two of tweaking. All thanks to a school network, structured folders, and the placing of previously planned work onto the server for the past few years.